January is a GREAT time to organize your life starting with your closet. Removing clutter and items that you haven’t used in the last six months is ESSENTIAL for feeling refreshed and organized for a new year. Here are some rules to think about while tackling that mound of clothing you call a closet.
1. Like I said earlier, if you haven’t used it or worn it in the last 6-12 months toss or donate.
2. Quit waiting to get your dry cleaning or any alterations done! Do it now so that you’ll have more options to wear in the morning.
3. If you are hanging on to a t-shirt, sweatshirt, shoe, etc for sentimental reasons..STOP. If it is not usable, you do not need it taking up space. Take a Polaroid of you wearing it and then toss or donate.
4. Separate by season. Right now there should be no swim trunks or linen in your closet. Remove spring and summer items and pack them in a Tupperware tub or nice containers and store under the bed, in a hall closet, attic etc.
5. Do not keep something that you are waiting to fit into. It is very important to keep items in your closet that you can use NOW. Once you lose that extra 15 lbs treat yourself to some new clothes. 🙂
All of these things can be found at the Container Store and are great inexpensive pieces to a perfectly new closet and you.